Follow by Email

Thursday, February 18, 2010

More railings, cowl vents, and hatch fit-up









Work on the railing continues. Originally the handrails were spec'd to be 1.5" pipe. After thinking about it (and checking the rails on different boats for "hand feel") we changed it to 1.25". Now that the rails are on, I definitely feel that we made the right choice. The 1.25" pipe feels and looks just right. This was one of hundreds of little decisions that we've made in past months. These are the kind of things that keep me up at night... its no fun to re-do things in steel once they are purchased and welded up so I find myself spending ridiculous amounts of time worrying about these kind of details. So far, I'm happy with the results of most of the decisions that we've made. 
Mark, who owns the first diesel duck (from which our design originates) came up with some excellent surplus cowl vents that have the right salty look for our boat. We cut them down a bit so they wouldn't impede our visibilty from the wheelhouse and I think they will and a lot of air circulation below decks which is key to being comfortable long term on a boat. They also look neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment