Follow by Email

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Busy Month, Lots of Rain
















January has been pretty busy with work and music stuff, but boat construction continues. We've had a lot of rain in the past 2 weeks so that has slowed progress somewhat. Here's some pictures that cover our recent projects on the boat. We are pretty much down to the details now. This month we did: hatch coamings (2 forward and 1 aft), bitts, fairleads, anchor winch foundation, steering gear and supporting structure, and some work in the engine room on brackets for various manifolds. All the floor supports are now in and I will be ordering our tanks soon for drinking water, sewage, and grey water. Also scrounged all the materials for our sea valves, through hull fittings, and overboard discharges.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Wheelhouse install...











Casey from CS Marine came through for us again with a crane to lift the wheelhouse up onto the hull. Many thanks Casey... we're going to owe you some boat rides when we get this thing done. Everything went pretty smoothly. A little trimming and grinding here and there and the house dropped right into the slot in the hull over the engine room as planned. She is starting to look like a real seagoing vessel now. -PB

Monday, January 4, 2010

Finishing wheelhouse, rubrail, airtesting welds













Finished drilling all the holes for wheelhouse windows and engine room vents. Almost 500, 3/8" holes in all. Thankfully the wheelhouse is only 3/16" plate and we have a very good drill bit sharpener in the shop. Did some final cleanup on the wheelhouse over the weekend, and it looks like we'll be getting a crane from CS Marine to come out and do the lift up onto the hull this week. Sam and I did the drilling and fit-up for the hatch in the # 3 bulkhead up forward as well. This space is at the very front of the boat and will be maintained as a watertight compartment at all times. We will probably keep emergency anchor gear there. Aft of this is another space that is larger with a watertight hatch leading up to the anchor deck and a watertight door leading aft to the main living area. This gives us a second area at the front of the boat that can be sealed off in the unlikely event that we find ourselves faced with a big hole in the front of the boat. This compartment will be used as our "attic" for storage. Sam and I also test fit two of the aft portholes and they look very slick. These are from New Found Metals and from what I've seen so far, I'm very impressed (especially for the price). Spent a few days air testing all the external hull welds and watertight bulkheads. Kind of a tedious process that involves blowing air at extremely high pressures through a large nozzle directly along the weld while someone else is on the other side spraying a soap solution on the weld and watching for bubbles. It really works quite well. We found six pinholes this way that were invisible to the naked eye, but blew a mass of fine bubbles when pressurized from the other side. Six pinholes in a boat this size is very minimal and they were fixed easily and re-tested fine. Speaks well of the quality of work that Jesus and his crew are doing. Rubrail started going on today. Looking forward to getting the wheelhouse installed this week. I'll be fabricating hatch coamings and through-hull fittings over the next week or so as well. -PB