Sunday, August 23, 2009

Taking Shape







Starting to look like a boat. All the bulkheads and frames, from the engine room forward, are tacked in place. Today we put in #39, the aft engine room bulkhead. Very windy, so it took a lot of wrangling to get this one in place. Climbing around inside the “cage“ that is formed by the frames, you can really get an idea of what the inside space will be like. Next week we’ll be heading down south to pick up the gearbox and some other engine parts. When I get back from that road trip, it’ll be my job to get the engine and gearbox assembled, painted, and ready for installation. The main engine is a 12 valve 5.9 Cummins diesel from a wrecked 93 Dodge truck. Found it on Craigslist a while back. Very low miles and a very desirable model for our purposes. More to come soon…

2 comments:

  1. I'm cheering for you as I have sort of the same deal going. conallsboatbuild.blosgpot.com

    stay in touch,

    Conall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. I just sold my 36' steel Colvin Schooner. I live here in Sac I'll have to come by and see your ship. If you look on George's site check out the model of the 82' "Ocean" schooner. I built it and a few other models of His boats using the free palns out of his book.
    Tim Reynolds

    ReplyDelete