Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tank Tops







Been awhile since I've had time to sit down and organize pictures but we've been plenty busy finishing the seemingly endless "completing of hot-work" list. We are trying to get any and all welding and grinding done before we paint, and it seems that every time I step back, some new little welding or drilling detail pops up that I hadn't thought of. I have a lot of pictures so I'll do two installments... 
First is drilling the tank tops. Each compartment of our below deck fuel tanks has to have an inspection hatch for accessing the tank interior for maintenance and cleaning if that ever becomes necessary. We have 14 of these hatches that needed to be drilled for the studs that will bolt them down. This added up to about 470 5/8" holes in 5/16" steel- another monumental drilling project. Fortunately I was able to use a drill press for these, and drill a few hatches at a time by clamping them together with a master template on top. Still, each hatch weighed about 50 pounds, and it was a workout just moving them around and up into the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment